So a month after my computer zonks, I think I'm all cool and shit, ready to go, open for business, working my ass off. And then. My internet goes out. Not just internet, mind you. The entire suite of the Cablevision cable-based connection to humanity as we know it. Internet. Phone. TV.
At first, I'm thinking, not bad. I'm not staying up until 4AM watching Elimidate anymore. This is a good thing. And I'm getting a lot done. Cleaning. Reading. Actually designing my very own website. And my cell phone is really the only immediate connection I have to other people at this point. Other than knocking on doors. Not bad.
But then, I go to turn on channel 61 ("Know BEFORE You Go!") to get the weather, you know, to figure out the wardrobe, and that's when it hits me. I am disconnected. After the reality of not being connected sinks in (I've been "connected' for the last 10 years), and I commit some small episode of hairy-cairy, I realize that I still have options.
I have a radio. I listen to it. Weather and Traffic Every 10 Minutes on the Eights. I have my cell phone. Ok, not the most lo-fi piece of equipment in existence, but neither was my "land line," which in effect, was not a land line at all. It was a cable line. Power goes out, so does my phone.
I read books now. Crazy right? I actually go to the library to email people, do shit like this, and take out books. I can even read the paper here. Nuts. I feel so very academic.
I have 3 minutes left on this computer, so I must bid you adieu. For now.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment